On my morning walk (absolutely essential to maintain perspective before diving into my day job), today I sensed a faint whisper of Spring. There was something lively about the chatter of birds, as though they were privy to a seasonal secret. The air wasn’t quite so bitter (as evidenced by the lighter shade of red of my nose). Some trees had even dared to sprout a few buds! So yes, I’m going out on a limb and saying that Spring is almost springing.
Naturally I started daydreaming about mild early morning summer walks, afternoons of yoga outdoors, and balmy evenings sitting on the decking with a chilled glass of sauvignon blanc. Sigh.
Until then, I’m helping myself feel vibrant with this berry bold smoothie bowl. I LOVE smoothie bowls. It’s basically a thick smoothie, served in a bowl (surprise!), topped with all sorts of delights. I prefer them to smoothies I think…drinking a smoothie without a straw feels like drinking soup from a mug. Just wrong. So, dished up in a bowl and eaten with a spoon this breakfast feels substantial and right.
For this one, I blended:
- 1 pitted medjool date (for sweetness)
- 1 ripe banana (you could use frozen banana too)
- Generous handful of frozen raspberries (but any frozen red berries would be delish)
- Glug of milk alternative (I used Koko coconut milk) – depending on the size of the banana, how many berries you add and so on, you’ll need to add more or less milk. Adding a bit at a time as you blend helps you to gauge the consistency. It should be quite thick!
- Topping of your choice. Today I used toasted coconut flakes, hemp hearts, and cacao nibs.
Blend gently (patience is key for a soft whipped texture) until the mixture is smooth.
Now, where’s my suntan lotion..?